Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pokemon of the Week - Froslass

Froslass
Hallo, und guten tag! (Hello, and good day!) I'd like to welcome my fellow Hive Inhabitants (should really get an "official" name for that...) to my latest Pokemon of the Week! Again, I had my best friend help me choose my Pokemon, though she didn't know how she did it this time~ I asked random questions and picked Froslass~! So anywho, I hope you all enjoy my work~
Serebii.net - Froslass Pokedex Entry

Overview:
I'm not the biggest fan of entry hazards such as Spikes or Stealth Rock, but I have to say using Froslass is one of my favorite users/leads of it. One reason is though its weaknesses are common, its Ghost typing helps it set up Spikes and block Rapid Spin very successfully almost every time, if played right! And unlike some Spikes leads, it also can stop set-ups with Taunt, and is faster than other Pokemon of the same use like Skarmory or Forretress. Its Ghost-Type also allows it to work the same use in Uber, and pretty effectively at that! I hope to see this Pokemon get a nice revamp soon~


Base Stats:
HP - 70
Atk - 80
Def - 70
SpAtk - 80
SpDef - 70
Spd - 110


Movesets:

Froslass @ Focus Sash

Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef, 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond

This is actually a pretty fun set to use, honestly~ I know it's from Smogon, but I like this one! I used it on one of my teams, and once I got better with prediction, I was able to set it up against most leads fairly efficiently! The Nature and Focus Sash help to guarantee a safe spot if you make a mistake or your prediction fails. The goal here is to lay down as many layers of Spikes as you can manage, and do it effectively. If you know your opponent can Taunt you, use your Speed to Taunt it first so it doesn't cripple your strategy. Ice Beam is the typical STAB to take down some Pokemon that will go against you. Despite her low Special Attack, it can pull of a OHKO or 2HKO on certain Pokemon with the listed spread. Lastly, the move that adds some flair to this set: Destiny Bond. It may take a little strategy and timing to do, but with the Focus Sash, you are guaranteed at least one layer of Spikes, then a KO of what can be one of your opponent's most-needed ones! If you play right, you can cripple them~ And one good thing I've found about Froslass is that even if it faints, it's usually not a major loss to your team, overall~ Plus, on Hail Teams, Snow Cloak will help obliterate opponents if you're lucky with evasion hax! Have fun with this~




5th Generation

What is pretty interesting about Frolass is that in 5th Generation, it got very few new things, but adapted to the game pretty well nonetheless. In fact, the above set works just as well in the new metagame as before, with a few differences.

First, an EV spread of 160 HP, 98 Def, 252 Spd works nicely, as you can still outspeed and work against your possible counters. The HP and Defense points allow you to survive a wall's attacks to get more Spikes in, or whatever you need, from particularly hard-hitting walls.

Lastly, the move Ice Beam can be kept, or you can use Shadow Ball if you need that STAB more, as it's still reliable. Another option (mostly due to the power that Froslass lacks) is Icy Wind, which can slow your enemy, making it easier to set up and run off.

Now enter this new, more powerful metagame, and play~!




Hehe, how do you guys like this one? I love writing about the lesser-known or -used Pokemon that can still hold their own in the right hands.

Again, I'm waiting for my lapop to return from repair, so sorry for the day-late PotW! Hope I'm not being hated... Yeah right, I rarely get comments, and I dunno who even reads these... I just hope I can help someone with these, and maybe make Pokemon a funner place for everyone to play in!

Anyway, have a good day! Ja ne~! :3

0 comments:

Post a Comment